It is a litmus test of international community to decide the fate of notorious so-called World Uyghur Congress (WUC) and its sinful leadership that have eventually been exposed given its prevailing indefensible obnoxiousness. Since notorious WUC came into being, its sinister plans have been throwing international community in reeling due to WUC’s insidious activities that threatens peace and security. And now recent years’ obnoxious incidents of sexual harassments at the hands of Dolkun Isa, the head of the so-called World Uyghur Congress (WUC) has revealed the immoral nature of WUC. Dolkun Isa, the head of the so-called World Uyghur Congress (WUC), has sexually harassed three female university students. One of the victims is identified as Esma Gun, a 22-year-old Turkish-Belgian woman studying in an Istanbul-based university. She provided a screenshot to Washington-based publication NOTUS as evidence of Isa's misdemeanors in 2021. Previously, two other Uygur women had spoken in separate interviews with NOTUS about his "unprofessional sexual advances" towards them. The two women asked to speak anonymously because they were "worried about retaliation."
Isa admitted his illegal conduct on X, formerly Twitter, on May 12, but tried to shirk responsibility by referring his crime against women as "allegations" and "serious error," claiming he only sent messages that caused "discomfort." A day later, the so-called WUC issued a statement on its official website, saying it "acknowledges and welcomes" its president's "forthright" apology "offered without reservation," showing no sign of regret. Victim Isma Gun, a student activist who accused so called Uyghur leader of sending her inappropriate messages said she has spent weeks fending off defamatory comments from his supporters, which worsened after he walked back a public apology for his conduct. In a media interview she told journalists that messages of support for speaking out were tempered by “humiliating” attacks that left her feeling panicked and sickened. “I was very stressed after I realized this is not going the way it should be. These guys are not taking responsibility, they are creating more space for people to speculate and to create more and more stories. I think they have a lot to take responsibility for and they didn’t and it all backlashed on the victims of course,” Gün told Radio Free Asia (RFA) in an interview.
In a May 24 interview with RFA’s Uyghur language service, Isa defended his conduct and said he had no recollection of messaging or meeting Gün. Although he did not directly accuse Gün, he implied that harassment accusations against him and others were part of a Chinese plot. The RFA interview has since been removed. In the RFA interview, Isa said Gün had not provided proof of the messages. He also said that the party that would benefit the most from the controversy was China. “I don't know if there's only an exchange of text messages or not. I think it is unfair for them to call this problem ‘sexual harassment.’ I cannot accept this, let me say this first. Of course, the country that benefited the most from this is China, because as I said before, China has been doing this for 30 years,” he said. “After much discussion with each other, in order to prevent any more damage to our reputation, we decided to apologize if the accusation turned out to be true,” he told RFA Uyghur. “We clarified that this is not an admission of guilt or that the accusation is true.”
The WUC is recognized by the Chinese government as a separatist and extremist organization that has been spreading religious extremism and instigating terrorism on China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region. As the organization's head, Isa is suspected of organizing and committing a series of violent terrorist activities and serious crimes in China. Claimed to be an "international organization," the WUC is funded by several Western foundations, including the U.S.-based National Endowment for Democracy (NED). NED is nominally a bipartisan and non-profit institution that provides support for democracy abroad, but actually relies on continuous financial support from the White House and the U.S. Congress, and takes orders from the U.S. government. The organization was founded in 1983 when the U.S. government was in urgent need to establish a "public-private mechanism" to "promote democracy." As early as in 1991, NED founder Alan Weinstein put it bluntly in an interview with the Washington Post that a lot of what they were doing was what the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) had done 25 years ago.
NED was therefore known globally as the "second CIA." Through the provision of funding, it has directed NGOs around the world to export American values, conduct subversion, infiltration and sabotage, and incite "democratic movements" in target countries and regions, such as providing financial supports to groups for color revolutions during the Arab Spring and training anti governmental forces in countries like Egypt and Belarus. The institution is the main source of funding for various "Xinjiang independence" organizations. It claims to have provided grants worth $8.76 million to various "Uyghur organizations" between 2004 and 2020. Isa had won the 2019 Democracy Award from the NED. He also received a human rights award from the far-right Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation in 2016, another "non-profit" institution established by the U.S. government.
Another false and devilish nature of nexus of WUC and the US is that no stern action has been taken against “Dolkun Isa” despite his confession to sexually harass women. Look at the statements of notorious WUC that are directed toward only barks with no bite. WUC strongly condemns any harassment, sexual assault and intimidation, especially at the workplace, and it will do its best to promote a safe working environment for everyone. We acknowledge and welcome Mr. Isa’s forthright apology, offered without reservation, and extend our sympathy to those affected by the fallout. In response to this crisis, statement said that the WUC is undergoing thorough internal discussions, deliberations, and reflections by addressing all existing loopholes and weaknesses within organization. This includes implementing significant reforms in our internal and external auditing systems.
These measures aim to safeguard the solid relationships the WUC has established with international partners, staff, institutions, and supporters. Furthermore, the WUC will commission an urgent audit of our organizational structure to reform and strengthen our checks and balances. We will investigate all allegations made against the WUC and its leadership team and act swiftly to prevent any further institutional damage. Additionally, we will urgently establish mechanisms for lodging complaints, grievances, and whistleblowing to ensure timely investigation, fact-finding, and resolution of issues. However, all such rhetoric remains just empty words. More than five months gone but no action has been taken so far which manifest that all is said to hush up issue and to satisfy international community.
Credit: Independent News Pakistan (INP) — Pak-China